The property of Belmont was formerly owned by the French which was less than 100 acres when Peter Brotherson acquired it in the eighteenth century. The size was then increased in 1726 when owner Brotherson petitioned for additional lands to adjoint his property. On this estate, sugar was extracted by the means of an animal mill for most of the eighteenth century. By 1828 the sugar plantation was extended to 286 acres and had a windmill and was owned by George Galway Mills, the great-grandson of Matthew Mills a late speaker for the Assembly and Chief Justice before his demise in 1744. The size of this plantation then increased to 300 acres in the last quarter of the nineteenth century when steam technology was introduced. However, by then the plantation was owned by Stuart Davis.
It was at this plantation while owned by Davis, the family incident that led to the ‘Bull Story’ and which has now been an enactment for Folklore performance in the group islands of St. Kitts and Nevis.
Until the dismantlement of the Sugar Industry in 2005, an area manager occupied the estate house and the estate yard was used in the system of management of the sugar industry that was operated by the Government in St. Kitts Manufacturing Cooperation (SSMC)
Today, the area is now managed by the St. Christopher National Trust.
The Belmont Estate is located on the northern part of the island side, in St. Paul’s community and is on route to the St. Kitts Scenic Railway. This estate is also located next to the St. Paul’s Anglican Church and St. Paul’s Village which provides an important social and cultured context for the interpretation of the historical, cultured and political development of St. Kitts. Position at the base of Mount Liamuiga, it provides a good staging post for eco-tours and field trips to the crater.